Sunday, May 03, 2020

Today I decided to go out and get my own groceries.  This is something I haven't done in a while.  I could have gotten a curbside order w/ Giant Eagle fairly soon, but I wanted to get out.  I'm itching to shop.  I headed to Aldi.  I prefer my fruit and veggies from there both for the price and quality.  Their meat fridge was pretty bare.  I'm not much for sausage or ground turkey, so I left there without meat and had to also go to Giant Eagle to get those supplies.  That worked out well as they still had most everything - except pork (other than ribs, which I had wanted).  They also had a good deal on corn and the saltine crackers I wanted (which Aldi doesn't carry).  The fridge is full for another week plus.

One good thing I can say about curbside and the bare shelves is that I've tried a few things that I would not have other wise bought had they not been provided as a replacement item.  Tonight for dinner we had Hormel smoked pork chops.  They come fully cooked - so I did a quick peek to see how people normally prepare them.  A quick browning in a skillet w/ olive oil and seasoning followed by about 20 minutes in the oven at 350.  They were quite tasty and had more of a bacony flavor than chops would have and were super tender.  I'd totally buy these again.

Similarly in the past Avery's yogurt was replaced once and she loved what we received, so it is now another viable option (at a better price) for us.  At times the replacements are questionable - like giving me asparagus when the brussels sprouts were gone.  Ok, thanks for the stinky pee.  Don't get me wrong, I eat asparagus, I just don't see how someone thought "I'm going to to make this replacement."

The weather has been great.  We had some rain in the past few days, but it dried up nicely and we had lots of sun and perfect temps, so there was lots of outside time.  Since I got my hours today early in the day I was able to enjoy part of that day with a fruity beverage in hand - I needed that too.

No comments: