Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The little one and I played (pre-planned) hookie today and headed to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh where we caught up w/ my Favorite Egg's Mom.  It's a nice little place.  I'm sure it will feel like there is more to do once they're finished remodeling the one larger/original area.

I loved the penguin area.  You could pop your head up into the middle of the area and get up close to them and an area where the water is against the glass and you can watch them swim and play.  There was one in particular that kept frolicking against the glass near the kids, and then I noticed his name tag - Slippy!  My dear friend, imho, giving us a sweet little hello from beyond.  You see, she also loved hockey, but always claimed her favorite (Pittsburgh) Penguin was Iceburgh.

The bats were pretty cool to see as well as some of the other larger birds like the owls and eagles. I have to say seeing the eagles is great, but I know it won't compare to the day I finally get to see them out near the lake in the wild.  I also always enjoy watching flamingos.

From there we went for lunch - at the Cheesecake Factory.  It's been many years, since I was in NC as a matter of fact since I've been there.  It surprises me how good the non-dessert food is, but yea, you know I brought home a slice too.

No comments: