Thursday, March 22, 2018

Let's talk about something that is none of my d*mn business, but too bad.  I couldn't help but notice the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke as I went to leave daycare this morning, walking through the older kids' section past their coats.  If you smoke around you're kid you're an a-hole.  That includes if you smoke inside the home in which they live.

Do I think my parents were a-holes?  Yes, kind of, they also had the minor excuse of it being a different time, but it doesn't fully excuse them from the a-holishness of it.  People with young children today knew damn well how dangerous those things were when they started smoking.

Why are you an a-hole?  Let's throw all of the health related issues out there.  You're poisoning your children, destroying their lungs, putting them at greater risk for asthma (if you're lucky) and cancers.  You're also doing the same thing to yourself.  If you die, your kids finish growing up without a parent.  I know.  I watched the result of smoking help take my father down when I was 12.  I was blessed that my Mom made it to my 40s, but her smoking also is what contributed to her death.  They both would have been here longer had they not smoked - my Mom would have met my daughter, her granddaughter.

Outside of the health factors:
Your kid stinks.  Yep, you can't smell it - but your kid is the one that smells bad at school.  Sure it isn't BO but it's still incredibly gross and I bet other kids comment or make fun.  Your kids stuff all stinks and gets discolored and dirty looking.  So much for keeping that favorite toy and it looking respectable to cherish for the rest of their lives.

I bet some kids don't want to come to your house - or some of their parents don't want their kids around your kid because they'd be exposed to the smoke and smell.  Your child doesn't understand why those kids don't want to be their friend, they think it's something personal - something wrong _with them_.

You waste how much money every year sucking crap into your lungs.  What could that money do to cushion either your retirement (so your kid doesn't have to help pay for your health care if you do actually make it to old age) or give your child a good foot forward on education expenses or as a nice inheritance.

If you're one of those parents who does go outside to smoke do you think you're in the clear?  No sir.  How much time are you wasting outside feeding your addiction instead of playing or spending time with your child.  You think it's only 5 minutes, but 5 minutes every what... two hours?  Every hour?

Parents would do anything for their kids, right?  So why not quit?  Stop being selfish.  Do it today.  Your kids look up to you.  Be the hero they see you as.  Enlist their help to encourage you and tell you "no no no!" , teach them that sometimes you make mistakes too, teach them that sometimes things worth doing to better yourself require effort and commitment.

I've never been a smoker and I don't know personally how difficult that is to do, but I have no doubt it isn't easy.  I know people who have done it - and I'm so proud of them (even years after they tossed that junk aside).  You can do it.  Please!

No comments: