Monday, March 24, 2014

Another example of people LOOKING for reasons to be offended:
http://screen.yahoo.com/new-york-times/microaggressions-comments-sting-151316467.html
 
I cannot tell you how many times in my life I've been asked that my heritage is (yes, I've heard it phrased as "what are you?").  I've got to tell you I never once thought it was a reason to assume the person was racist or to be offended by the inquiry.  I think the closest I've come to being offended by these types of comments was when asked if or had it stated (on numerous occasions) while still using my married name that "oh you're Polish".  Mmm, no.  And I'm only offended by your stupidity when you know it's not my maiden name, not by the inquiry or the presumed assumptions I could try to imply the person was making with that statement.
 
Maybe I'm more proud of who I actually am than I realized.  Clearly, I'm more proud of my slightly confusing eye-set and pasty white skin than the individuals in this video are.  If it is who your heritage created you to be, I'd think you want to announce it to the world... unless you're ashamed of it.

No comments: