Friday, December 20, 2013

No matter what, Christmas does make an attempt at being depressing.  The weather should be decent and safe to drive, so I'm happy about that, but it's the little things that make it less than awesome.  Some tidbits:
 
- People who take the whole week off to spend it with family, I know you don't mean to, but when you're all shocked that I wouldn't also take the whole week off because, well, it's Christmas, think about it.  I go ON Christmas and celebrate, and then, that's done.  There aren't kids home from school at my house or tons of family coming and going, and frankly, not even alot of plans to catch up with people.  So, blah.
 
- In the same vein, I know you're busy and I'm not, but it still sucks when you try to make plans to see me around Christmas and they are presented with "this day/time, but maybe this one if the first one ends up not working out for us due to this laundry list of reasons".  What I mind ends up with is "Judy, reserve two time slots for me, and if something better comes up I'll bump you from the first one at a moment's notice leaving you sitting at home at that point in time bummed because you were mentally geared up to go out and have a little fun."  Yes, yes, I know the weather is a legitimate factor.  If your caveat is only "unless the weather is really bad" I'm with you all the way and I am totally not talking about you here.
 
- Sure seems like every OTHER group at work is having little parties, get togethers, and luncheons.  Yeah.  In the mean time, the ppl I typically eat lunch with are unavailable because they're invited to those... and I get to eat alone.  For some reason, that does not make me festive at all.
 
I really don't want to be grumpy, but it's hard.  Those moments when I feel alone or "second best" as detailed above, yes my mind does go to Christmases past and the losses I've felt then.  I had claimed 2013 for me, it was going to be a good year.  Here it is a week and a half from being over and all it did was pass (quickly).  What of it?  So, how do I go about making the change that is so desperately needed to not feel this way again next year?

No comments: