Saturday, June 15, 2013

Friday night required some prep work as there was a free shred day today nearby, so I started gathering.  Most everything was already in a big plastic bin, but I wanted to go through the filing cabinet as well.  I didn't toss tax files, although I'm sure some are old enough they could have gone.  Then I got distracted and hunted through my box of cables for the printer cable I need to change the wireless settings on my all-in-one.

Finally I pried the vent covers off the vents in the dining room.  I say pry because not only did these idiot paint over them but they had also put them on with a nice seal of caulk.  Lovely.  While I was at the removal process I also removed the plate covers from all of the plugs in anticipation of painting, maybe I'll do that before I do the floor.

Today is one of those incredibly FULL Saturdays that helps me feel like I had a long weekend.  I tried to roll over after the ritual 7am potty trip (for the girls, not me... I was up at 3:30) but it didn't happen.  Instead I told myself I could spend some time at the computer before getting in gear and that was motivation to roll out of bed and make a cup of coffee.  Because I like punishment I decided to take the cable I hunted down last night and try to get my printer rocking with my new wireless configuration.  That was an epic failure that consumed way more of my play time than I'd like to admit.  In the end I still have no easy access to my printer (I can change my network's wireless settings back and print/scan, but what a pain in the butt.)

Then I headed to drop off the shred-ables and a quick stop at Big Lots since they keep tempting me with coupons.  Back to the house before noon and I forced myself outside to waterproof the tenant's deck.  It's done, not perfect thanks to those awful lattice pieces around the bottom, but so be it.  Since we may have rain tomorrow I used that as an excuse to not also do the back deck.  The apartment deck is covered, so I'm hoping if we do get rain it won't be a problem... besides it should hold off until after 2 to give me 24 hours.

Well, if you're not going to do the other deck you better keep working, right?  It's been near two months since I bought the supplies, but I finally changed out the light switches!  7 of them are changed.  1 I couldn't swap because I had forgotten it was a three-way, so I needed a different switch.  I also couldn't change out the GFCI in the bathroom as desired because it does not want to budge from the wall once unscrewed.  I am assuming this is another case like the one from the living room a few years ago where there wasn't enough wire to make 'room' to pull the plug out to mess with it.

I then headed to Home Depot to return a few items and pick up a few others (like the 3-way switch and some vent covers).  Unfortunately this set of vent covers won't work.  The size is spot on, but the vent comes out of the wall too low for this to fit.  It's a shame too because they were lovely wood that would have matched in there fantastically.

From there a quick visit to an old friend who is currently at Conemaugh (progress is going well, but prayers please). All the while today laundry was running, so I'll have a nice fresh bed to climb into tonight.  I suspect I'll sleep quite well.  I'd like to go see The Purge, but I'm afraid I'll fall asleep at the theatre.

No comments: