Saturday, September 23, 2006

I tried to sleep in this morning. Made it to 10am, pretty impressive for me as of late. I haven't been able to sleep until noon or 1pm on the weekend in well over a year. I got a little bit of work done today and then got a call from my mother which promped me to head to Altoona.

One of my cousins was in a fatal car accident out in Colorado. While coming to Altoona doesn't help the situation per se it was the right thing to do. This cousin, which I haven't seen in many years and probably wouldn't recognize, is one of the few that was fairly close to my age. The rest were 10-15 years older than me, if not more. So I guess in some ways it feels relevant. I feel bad however because I can say it's unfortunate and sad, and I can comprehend how hard it is for my aunt, uncle, and other cousin (his brother), I can't put myself on some emotional overload saying how horrible and tragic it is. Once again I feel like a bad person.

On a bright note tomorrow mother and I will be making ham potpie. I really need to get this recipe down. I can't imagine a lifetime without this meal when she's gone. This evening we went to a small place that my mother likes for dinner and stopped at my one aunts. It's astonishing to me how many telephone calls she got while we were there - other aunts and uncles calling with regard to the accident. My mom is one of like 13 or 14 you see.

No comments: