Wednesday, March 22, 2006

4-0 Wheeling. It was a tough loss, I'll give it that. The Nailers came into our arena and played Dayton style hockey, which, for some reason has managed to keep us tripped up all season. I know the boys aren't happy, but it's no excuse for the behavior of one that I'll address without a name.

When leaving the ice we have a right to expect that chairs aren't kicked around in rage, PARTICULARLY out in the halls where there are young children and fans who are not there to curse you out, but rather still eager to get your autograph and to see you after the game. If I choose to say settle down and take that to the locker room I think that it is only fair to recognize it is said meaning to keep your cool, it's okay. When I follow it up with "that was mature" I may have said something I shouldn't have, yes, and I apologize - however, for another player who was far enough back to have probably not seen what his teammate just did to turn, glare at me and hiss "I should say it was - we are paid to win"? No.

Let me be clear. The only thing I have ever asked (and I think this is a common sentiment across those of us who actually have a clue and love the team regardless) is that you come, you work hard, and you play hard. Win or lose, we're still there cheering. We grieve with you when WE lose (I didn't say you, I said we). We worry about the health of a fallen teammate who is carted off of the ice with a concussion or a broken arm.

All I want is a group of guys who are dedicated and give it their all even when the going gets tough - that is what I pay for a season ticket for, work the 50/50 bag for (plastering on a smiling face even during the crappiest of all weeks to bring in as much as I can), work after photo sales for, work on a website for, and bust my ass trying to get people to go to the games for -- in addition to working 40 hours a week and working on a masters degree. I've never asked you for more. You may or may not even be willing to acknowledge me in public, you probably don't even know my name... but so you recognize me - I'm one of the ones with the LET'S GO [your name] signs in section 16.

No comments: