Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm not sure if I'm getting sick or it is just the mess I've made of my sinuses due to frequent tears that is making me feel this way. My throat was raw enough that it woke me in the middle of the night prompting the start of mass consumption of orange juice. The headache isn't all that pleasant either, but I'm fairly use to headaches.

Vixen is doing okay. She seems a bit lost at times and has a noticeably changed sleeping pattern already. Last night when I woke for my orange juice I caught her laying over on the other side of the room, where Satin traditionally slept. When the alarm went off she was back to her normal sleeping area but did not jump up right away - I had to call her name to awaken her, which is quite unusual since she is the "morning puppy". She also is now standing by the far end of the yard looking out through the fence and isn't as quick to come to the door when called. Maybe I'm just imagining things or maybe she's waiting for her sister.

For me things seem a bit surreal. I only noticed Vixen sleeping where she was so quickly because it has become my habit to look over to Satin when I wake in the middle of the night - to check on her. I caught the smell of her in the living room last night too. Yes, my sense of smell is a bit obscene, but I swear to you it was like she had just walked into the room. I felt bad when I noticed a rawhide that Satin picked out during our last trip to PetCo that I had not given to her. It snowed a little this morning. But I could still smile by just imagining a happy girl making a snow puppy.

All in all, we're getting by and adjusting. Thanks to everyone who's offered a hug, a kind word, a card, and even flowers. Through every trial I've faced in recent years I've learned and reaffirmed who my friends really are.

No comments: