Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I had a rather strange epiphany today. You know how you remember the stupid things, or seemingly stupid things, that people from your distant past said to you. Maybe you don't even know why those things stick in your mind so clearly. I think it's because it's a piece of wisdom you'll need someday.

My father died when I was 12 years old, so he didn't have time impart too terribly much wisdom to my budding mind. He did share this one thing with me however that stuck. He told me to find a man with soft hands. I'm sure this stems from him having to work with his hands as a welder to earn a living. Thus, he believed that "soft hands" = "makes money with his mind", whereas his rough hands were an indicator of his "class". While intelligence is a definite necessity in my selection, I'm learning more and more as I get older that he missed the mark in his advice. Right now I'd love to find someone who knows how to fix things and whatnot - someone handy, or at least willing to try.

But I digress. I never quite correlated things until today but it made me giggle. You know, the phrase "soft hands" in hockey is ALSO a good thing. Probably the LAST thing my father had in mind. *laugh*

"Everything's not lost. -Coldplay"

No comments: