Sunday, July 17, 2005

If I actually had had time to post yesterday I fear it would have been the whiniest thing ever written. I slept pretty late yesterday trying to catch up on my lack of sleep from earlier in the week, but I did get up and get moving. I finished a peer review for work, then dusted and vacuumed, and started the laundry - before the rain started.

I think this is the heaviest we've had, or at least it was the hardest I was hit. From 2pm to 3 or 3:30pm I was trying to fight the rain coming in under the garage door with sand bags and a push broom. It didn't help that the one sump pump just decided to not work. You know it's bad when you have to open the back door to allow the river out of the garage. Not pretty.

So after realizing I was doomed I took a break. I peeled off the soaked clothes and toweled off and waited for the ground water to recede some. Ok, that's not all I did, I was cursing my singleness and blaming my ex once again for not being here. I guess that stems from two nights in a row of having dreams with him in them. I hate being female sometimes, I feel helpless. If only I knew how to fix things on my own since it appears I'm doomed to be on my own. After a few tears and regaining my composure I headed back down stairs. I am very fortunate in that my tenant and his family came down to help me pull everything from the basement and to clear out the water, but it still took hours. By 7pm everything was within reason but damp and I headed to grab something to eat.

I can't imagine how things were when "the" flood hit in Johnstown. The complete feeling of powerlessness against nature is overwhelming. I did get some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only person in the neighborhood with issues, as I previously had thought. So it's time to get the whole neighborhood in gear and to go after the township together. How do they not have ANY drainage here? What appears to be drainage merely runs to the far side of my neighbor's house to release back out.

Today is my first day as a prayer minister at church, so I'm a little nervous. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. When I get back, time to catch up from the things I didn't get done yesterday (if the weather cooperates). Hopefully it won't take more than an hour or so to get caught back up on my classwork and to get into the other work I brought home on Friday.

No comments: