Saturday, May 22, 2004

The vacation saga: May 13, 2004, Hilo (The Big Island) Hawai'i

Today we had the Waipao Mule Drawn Wagon trip... I thought for sure it would be lame, but was very pleasantly surprised. It was a blast! And the scenery was great. It started amusingly with the bus driver who took us to the right part of the island, this guy talked the whole way to and from. But he sounded like Eeyore.

I got shots of unique flowers, a beautiful waterfall, wild horses and lots of other great things. (Be sure to check out my link to view the shots).

After the excursion, it was time for some shopping. There was some coffee for Kirkus (Kona coffee of course), a Nice Papayas tee shirt for Eric, my pearl ring (which is quite bitchin) and some postcards to get in the mail.

Tired from the day it was time to chill, so back to the sports bar to watch Calgary's sad loss to San Jose. At this evening's dinner it was time for the waiters to perform with a dance. They make the meals on cruise ships so entertaining.


The vacation saga: May 14, 2004, Lahaina, Maui

Today we were tendered, which basically means it's not a deep water port and we had to be boated in from the ship on the tender/life boats. Maui was my place to go off on my own and give mom a break (heaven knows she needs her beauty sleep). On this day I went on a snorkeling trip. On the way to the site (off of Lanai) we saw Whales, which was unexpected, but very cool. It was right at the end of the whale season, so I'll count myself very lucky.

Snorkeling was nice, the water was great, but it wasn't as pretty as Key West is to snorkel. Some folks got to see some sea turtles but I missed them. :(

On the way back the other half of the trip was to check out the Hawaiian spinner dolphins. Because of the delay on my camera I couldn't get any shots of them up and jumping but I did get to see quite a few. They were so adorable and came right up to the ship.

That evening was our Luau. So yeah, at least mom and I got leied in Hawaii. They were very gorgeous yellow plumeria flowers. Dinner was decent, and the dancers and fire daners were quite cool. We also got to see a tree climbing demonstration and other things of the like. Yes, I tried poi - it sucks.

At the luau I got to watch the old chics at our table hitting on the waiter. I can't believe how bold some of the old people are. God I hope that's not me someday *shiver*.


The vacation saga: May 15, 2004, Lahaina, Maui (day 2)

Another day off wandering on my own. Before my excursion I wandered a few shops and picked up something for myself... a new lanyard for work that reads "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them". Gotta love that.

Today was the waterfall hike, which, believe me, I'm still feeling... my knees are still achy from it. (Damn I'm old). But it was worth it. We went to a 30, 40 and 200 ft waterfall - even got to swim in the pond beneath the 40 footer. I did have the option of climbing the rope, or taking the dive to the 30 footer's pond, but I'm too much of a coward.

During the hike I got lots more pics of beautiful flowers and critters. After I got back I spent some time in the whirlpool to try and alleviate some of the pain I was anticipating. I also treated myself to the coffee of the day onboard which gave me the free Internet access minutes which I used to write ya'll from the ship.

Today was the first day we had a significant amount of rain, but it wasn't in the rainforest, amusingly - it was all as we were pulling from port. Dinner this evening ruled - I had a delightful duck appetizer and a succulent veal dinner. I hit the vortex again and was in awe once again by the old lady with the fake boobs (she was on the snorkeling tour too). It was one of those creepy deer in headlights type of things. *shiver*

No comments: