Monday, February 21, 2022

The joys of a newer home.  As Avery walked upstairs last night she told me the stairs were broken.  When I returned with her to investigate I had to thank her for pointing out to me that two more pieces of wood holding the spindles on the stairs had popped loose.  I say more because a couple of other ones were loose over a year ago.  Gorilla glue has been applied and nothing is falling apart at the moment.

Another thing that drives me crazy here is the flooring, which I have probably only mentioned as being worn or builder grade.  The carpet is crap -- but the best part is the spot outside of my closet where I think there is a screw laying sideways under the carpet.  The vinyl flooring in the bathrooms has spots where it's been damaged and is trying to lift up.  The fake wood on the main floor scoots back and forth under your steps giving quite the nice haunted house effect.  All of it cracks and pops, especially upstairs, likely thanks to subflooring that is not properly secured.

If I ever have don't give a poo money I'd like to build a place that harkens to the older homes - real wood trim and doors, neat architectural elements, and quality products applied in a solid and reliable way.  I suspect that the last little item in my list would be hard to find these days.

No comments: