Friday, August 07, 2020

Yesterday I was open to suggestion... glad more people didn't knock on my door trying to sell things.

I signed on with a pest company that knocked on my door. I have wanted to get preventative care in this regard for a while, but I hated the thought of someone coming in and spraying chemicals all through the house. Their approach is using sprays enviromentally safe materials to deter ants, spiders, and the like from entering your home -- so they're spraying on the outside. They also treated along the property perimeter to deter ticks.

Then later in the day I got an email from my mortgage company noting significantly lower rates than what I currently have -- so I called to see how much I could save over the life of the loan. I ended up refinancing (I love how easy Quicken Loans/Rocket Mortgage makes this stuff). I dropped from the 15 year loan to a 10 year (cutting what a year and a half or so off of what was left) -- not that it matters since I do my best to pay ahead and shorten it even more. The rate went from 3.99% to 2.75%. Recoup time is a year and 2 months and I would save $9000 on interest (if I left it go the full 10 years).

No comments: