Monday, December 31, 2018

How quickly time is passing.  I cannot believe this is my second year end summary where I get to tell you how amazed and blessed I am by Avery.

Some high points for 2018:
- Avery.  STILL!  The milestones are amazing.  Her personality shines more and more every day and she's definitely learning new things every day.  I feel like there is something remarkable happening a couple of times a week.  She is a sweet and pleasant girl.  I'm not going to lie, having a wee one isn't _easy_ and it is tiring, but compared to what I expected - she is a walk in the park.
- Our first cruise with Avery went quite well.  That was back in April before she could crawl or walk, so I am sure the next cruise will be a very different adventure, but at least one without the need of scrubbing bottles in a bin every night.  Fortunately that is coming soon!
- Remaining gainfully employed from home with my long time company.  There has been some stressful points this year, but some evolution in my role too.
- Avery's first airplane ride to Texas to visit with Aunt Jackie, Uncle Bob, and Cousin Matt/Amanda.  We didn't get to see Cousin Danielle, but it was because she's busy working at her first "real" job!  That's a highlight too, I'm quite proud of her.
- Going to visit Avery's Aunt Bethany and meeting her horses for the weekend.
- Aunt Jackie also was sure to come here to visit, in specific for Avery's baptism and her first birthday, both of which were definitely memorable.
- I got a night out to go see Matt and Kim live!
- Getting away w/ Avery to the church retreat at Jumonville.
- I've been adulting for so long that I needed to replace furniture.  As such this year I have purchased comfy new couches that recline and a new adjustable king sized bed.
- Going and doing things I want to do but never would have if it weren't for Avery.  For example:  the aviary and Phipps conservatory.
- Taking the leap and starting to have someone coming to help clean.


Things I wanted to achieve in 2018:
- I didn't get everything done here at the house that I wanted.  The electrical I wanted done is complete, so now there is a ceiling fan on that deck roof, a few more plugs, and a switch instead of pull strings in the basement.  There are cabinets in the laundry room too!  I did not however get in gear on the half bath, but I have many of the supplies.  I am just dragging my feet to avoid the big cost and tough decision on which vanity and counter top to go with or if I should move the one fro the half bath upstairs and replace it with something bigger.  I continue to wish for block windows or a source of light in the garage, but I've taken no action there either.
- Making friends... I've made acquaintances, some are quite good acquaintances, but that isn't enough.  Avery and I made a few acquaintances at Starbucks in the mornings.  My biggest source of adult interaction is at Starbucks and for a few moments when I drop off or pick up Avery from daycare.
- I haven't gotten weight off like I had wanted.  It's hard.  After Avery is in bed I am ready to relax and wipe out myself, not to work out.
- I've tamed a bit with my foul mouth, but I have a ways to go.  I am sure I will be extra mindful once I hear sh*t come out of her mouth for the first time.


The tough parts of 2018:
- Feeling lonely.  Just like last year, I'd really like to find/make closer friends in the area.  I'm blessed that is the only thing I can think of to call a tough part.
- I've had a few bouts of concern for my own future.  Combine that with the irrational fears that Moms, or at least this Mom gets and there you have the new stresses I've been fighting away.


General comments:
The dogs:  Saffy and Dani remain well despite their aging.  We did have a heck of a scare w/ Dani a few months back where she nearly choked herself to death trying to get out of her crate.  More recently Dani has started having the issue where she doesn't get up from napping when she should, instead she gets up and urgently needs to go.  This has resulted in quite a few poop pickups.  It basically is 'falling out' of her before she can even tell me she needs to go.  I'm hoping we're not on a downhill with this.  I need to start to be more proactive about forcing her outside even more often I guess.  Fortunately, since I work from home I know it could be a lot worse.

I continue to be very excited by the difference in weather here over Jtown.  We had the slightest dusting of snow so far this fall/winter.  I know Johnstown got at least one good snow fall already.  If you look it up, based on averages we get 1/3 the amount of snow here.  That speaks volumes.


My desires for 2019:
- Keep seeking out friendships here locally.
- Do a little more bible reading and/or study.
- Once again I'll say I want to take some weight off, we'll see how that goes.
- I'd like to take a day off and go do something with Avery at least 8 of the 12 months.  My targets include a few things that require nicer weather, like the Zoo and Idlewild.
- I want to get the bathroom situation off of the list, for sure.
- I want to declutter a little more - it's time to go through the closets.

No comments: