Monday, September 10, 2018

I has been a rough dog week, to say the least.  I'll get the good news out of the way - Saffy is feeling MUCH better.  Things looked better Friday afternoon, but that evening things got thinner (after the vet closed, of course).  Saturday morning I called but couldn't get her into the vet, but they were willing to give us something to help get things back in order.  Within one dose I saw improvement.  We continue the medication for a few days, unless she gets constipated, but she is back to herself, thank God.

On the other hand there is Danika, who I really thought I was going to lose last night.  Historically she has figured out how to break out of crates, she's found crazy strength to open doors and bend them.  But it has been a while since she's has that strength (she's 13 after all) and has been pretty good about chilling in the crate since we moved, so for the past year and a half.

I was gone for a while yesterday, off to a wedding in all of this rain.  It was supposed to be out doors, that's all I am going to say about that.  It was a lovely event and we had a good time.  When it came near Avery's bed time and she was starting to fall asleep (due to a lack of a second nap) I packed us up and headed home.

When I was getting us out of the car I found it odd that there dogs weren't making noise.  I opened the door and immediately saw that Saf was out (the normal noisemaker).  My brain couldn't even finish the thought of "how did she..." when I saw Danika.  She decided to try to get out and got the top part of the crate door open.  Her head was out and she was wedged.  At first I thought she was dead, but as I got close enough I could hear the raspy breathing.  I managed to get the bottom latch pulled out, since I couldn't open it normally with her pushing the top part out and she went to the rest of the way to the ground.  Her breathing steadily picked up - thank God once again, but she was incredibly weak.

In hindsight, I suspect she stood for a while, those shaky old lady legs not able to do it any longer she had to sit/lay down and it caused her to end up how she was.

I pulled her from the crate where she had defecated.  I tried to get her up with no luck.  It took a while, perhaps getting oxygen back to limbs that are already wobbly and weak from age, but she eventually walked a little.  It took a little while longer for her to have the strength to stand up and pee outside.  We've been carrying her on the stairs at this point.  She peed again this morning, and just a little while ago got up from near me and walked to the kitchen for a drink.

As noted, she was already wobbly.  I'm hoping she will regain strength in the next day or so.  Poor girl.  What do I do to keep her secured but safe?  I'm so lucky I came home when I did.  I can't imagine if I had found her no longer breathing.

No comments: