Thursday, November 12, 2015

Well that damn near scared the bejezus out of me.  I'm watching TV and about ready to turn it off and head to bed and I hear a noise in the kitchen.  At first I thought it was a dog nose on a plastic bag (any dog owner knows what I'm talking about and immediately wants to join me in a chorus of "hey, what are you doing?").

Danika is under the coffee table.  I call for Saffy and she walks over from behind the couch.  Hmm.  I mute the TV and can hear the sound more clearly, it sounds like something rustling about, but in a pattern.  I stick my head into the kitchen, like the psycho killer who likes to lure his victims with rhythmic noises wouldn't just chop my head off right there.  It's coming from under the fridge.

I move closer and notice that the freezer door didn't quite close right earlier tonight.  Rats.  I pull it open assuming it is a dripping sound is and quickly realize it is a sizzling sound from the bottom.  I kneel down and see a glow coming from an opening to the back behind the bottom shelf/drawer.  The drawer was removed pretty darn fast and I could feel a warmth to the metal in front of it.  I wouldn't have bet my life on it, but I am pretty sure the only light in the freezer is up at the top.

In a partial panic I pulled the fridge out from the wall and unplugged it.  Then I pulled a couple of other shelves worth of food out.  The sizzling and glow continues but dies out.  With thanks to Beff and her man I had a plan.  Plug it back in, keep the door closed and let it get cold again.  See if all is well.  In the mean time I sorted the stuff I pulled out and did some freezer clean out.  I also wiped up the dust from the floor under and the wall behind the fridge.

Needless to say I'm going to check it again here shortly before I retire... and again in the morning.

Lessons learned:
Yes.  There is only the one light at the top of the freezer but some of the light does peek out from the bottom of the metal panel.

Seriously.  Stop putting single chicken breasts in there if you don't cook them before they'd go bad.  Just cook it up and give it to the dogs.  They'd appreciate it and heaven knows you'll never use it otherwise.

I have a butt ton of frozen fruit that I keep tossing in there before it goes bad.  I really need to make (many) smoothies soon.

I also have enough tomatoes to make another batch of sauce easy.

If you can't remember the last time you pulled out the fridge to clean under it, you probably need to.  Immediately.  Ew.  You can reward yourself with a smoothie.

No comments: