Saturday, November 23, 2013

I ventured out three times today and each trip was colder than the one before it.  The first to church to cover my time slot commitment in the prayer vigil.  The second to get some groceries, which let me tell you is no easy feat when also in the midst of a fast with my church (I did mine a day behind everyone else, well, because I'm a slacker and had my days all mixed up).  The last was to head to Eburg for the viewing of the old friend from college who passed.

I got part way there and the flakes had begun to fly.  I just knew that wasn't a good thing.  By the time I was at the funeral home it was laying, but I was still hoping it would stay to just eburg.  Oh no.  The trip home was rather unpleasant and was full of my flashers and prayers.  I passed overturned vehicles and saw many other lights flashing on the opposing side of the highway.  I know some folks behind me slowed down significantly after I gave them a bit of a demonstration as to how icy the road was.

I decided to stop and eat once I arrived in Richland as I was shaking a good bit from the cold, but I suspect because I hadn't eaten it was exacerbated.  I had only planned to keep my fast to sundown, so around 8pm is well with me  By the time I left there there were more lights all over the place on the one busy road near my house.  This is a spot that I always worry about because, while it's not steep or sharp curves it is ALWAYS slick if the roads have anything on them.  So, I came in through the bank parking lot to avoid it entirely.  I'm home... and once again pouting that here I am still in Johnstown.  I really and truly hate the weather here, it terrifies me.  It's time to hibernate for a few months.

I pray everyone else got home safely.  While the circumstances were not pleasant it was good to see some old friends.  It's funny how time changes nothing and everything all at the same time.  I would say tonight was a warm up for my upcoming class reunion, but rest assured if there is a chance of crappy weather I'll be taking the monetary loss and staying home.  Right now I might be willing to miss Thanksgiving too.

No comments: