Monday, August 26, 2013

Buckle in, this is going to be a long one... and it's all really good stuff!  I'll start by saying this weekend was so full and awesome, with the exception of the typical cleaning I needed to do Friday into Saturday.

Saturday evening I picked up my sister at the Jingletown airport and we headed for a bite to eat before settling in for the night.  The girls were so excited: Last weekend Grammy, this weekend Aunt Jackie!  We decided to try and surprise mom, so she wasn't aware that she was coming, but I had plans to head to Altoona on Sunday, so after church we headed down the mountain.  I sent Jackie around front, told to wait a few minutes and ring the doorbell, and I headed to the back.  When the bell rang mom's response was 'oh shit, who's selling what.'  When she peered out the door and figured out who it was she was QUITE surprised!

As is typical on a Sunday at mom's there was a big meal.  We didn't worry about there not being enough food, heaven knows the woman cooks for an army when I come.  While mom napped Jackie and I washed down the walls in the living room, preparing it for repainting.

Mom had contacted my dad's last living sister for me last week, and set up a time for me to go visit for a while.  She seemed as happy to see me as I was to be there, see her and my uncle, and get all of the information she had to share.  After several hours of hearing some great tidbits, learning some medical information that is good to know, confirming some things I had found, learning more I hadn't pieced together, I left with a bundle of her photos to scan (and return - I refused to take any to keep).  Needless to say I was up way too late last night getting these scanned in and the originals into my fire safe until I can return them.

I hadn't expected the treasure trove she would share with me by any stretch.  I now have several more photos of my grandparents, aunts/uncles, and father, but bigger still... I have photos of both of my great grandmothers!  Since then I was also able to find the sailing information for my Great Uncle coming into Ellis Island a few years after my grandmother (I had found hat I knew had to be her information last week).

I have more questions to ask now that some things have settled in my mind, I guess I should start documenting them clearly, so I don't get so off track and just wanting whatever comes to her mind.  I'm hoping to spend more time with my Aunt to get these answers and more information soon.

All of this carried over in my mood today, making my Monday very tolerable.

No comments: