Saturday, March 16, 2013

Back from returning the girl to the airport *sigh*  I always hate it when she leaves, the house feels so empty.  I can't even imagine what empty-nest syndrome is like after having a rugrat around for 18 years.  While it was short, it was a good visit.  I did get to leave work early yesterday to spend some quality time.  I feel like we got a full weekend in within just a half a day.  There were massages for us both, a trip to the range (my first shot w/ a rifle whooped the snot out of that gallon container for the record), seeing Oz the Great and Powerful, and some grub w/ Eggs and Beff at Quaker Steak.

Spoiler Alert:
I really enjoyed the flick... but I was not a fan of Mila Kunis' role.  Couple that with the fact that her make up (after becoming green) or perhaps it was some of the camera angles was not good.  Her face looked swollen and too big for the body.  I know it is not one in the same but the book Wicked has definitely altered my overall 'view' of this world... as a result, "Theodora" and "Evanora" are not the right names in my mind - it's Elphaba and Nessarose.  I did appreciate the intro black and white and narrow screen and then opening up as you begin to see Oz, much like in the original. 

I did catch the play on color as well in the jewelry - the green necklace on Evanora and the green of her 'electrical' powers vs the red ring on Theodora and her red 'fire' powers.  Honestly, it threw me off when Theodora then was the one to turn green.  We pondered then if that ties to the ruby red shoes going to Evanora (which she should have had from childhood [Wicked again]). There was also discussion of Glinda being from the South or North - which seems to differ from book (original, not Wicked) to movie.

Either way, I enjoyed it.  I find it insane that the rugrat has not seen the Wizard of Oz the whole way through.  How messed up is that?  Leave it to Disney though (rolls eyes) as it appears they're remaking it for next year.  I enjoyed the thought of a prequel... but you can't possibly do anything to achieve a worthy remake of the original.

No comments: