Thursday, December 20, 2012

So, "skin picking" has been added to the official list of mental disorders.  I know my brain is a bit screwy, but mental disorder?  What is more amusing is that I'd never have thought to look up my own neuroticisms online prior, but I've since learned my actions of picking at my fingers are labelled dermatillomania, and considered a type of obsessive compulsive disorder (me?  naaaaw.)  It does align as the wikipedia write up notes the association with stress.  I coulda told you that!
 
Now, the reason I mention this is to then point out the insanity that because this is now in the APA's manual it now will have better coverage for treatment.  Really?  Who goes for TREATMENT for being stressed out and picking a bit of skin from their fingers.  I really think people lok forward to having some long freakish label they can put on their own craziness so they can get pity.  We're all frelled up one way or the other and if you don't admit to your tidbits of crazy then you're probably the person who I should really stay clear of!

No comments: