Saturday, June 16, 2012

We were up and moving early today for Ravenna, Italy.  Everything I had found online made me believe we could walk out of the port and get to the city center quite easily on our own - not so!  Not only that but the shuttle was $15 a person, which I think is ridiculous, and contrary again to information I found online that said free shuttles.  We wasted some time wandering on our own, not finding the streets called out in my notes before we gave up and came back to learn the truth.

The maps of the town weren't awesome, it seemed like some roads were missing from the maps... maybe I was just tired.  The things I had noted weren't too amazing to see and we were leery of trying to go in to see the mosaics because we were in shorts. I made Dani take over the maps because I was 'done' with this town before we even got there thanks to the bad notes, so she navigated us around a bit.  I also made her attempt to procure her own bottle of water from a grocery store we wandered through.  I purposely gave her more change than she needed and you should have seen the look the cashier gave her when she dropped all of it (almost double what she needed) into her hand at the checkout!

Long story short neither of us were a fan of Ravenna and the best thing we found there was some gellato.  We, and many others we talked to back on board, wish that this had been our day at sea, followed by an over night in Civitavecchia (Rome).

We were happy to come back a bit early to soak our feet in the hot tub and grab some grub at the sea view cafe before showering and getting ready for the second formal night.  Tonight was all about embarrassing Dani - first the magician show used her keep hold of a 'can' in which he had a couple of items as part of his act.  Needless to say for the rest of the trip people would meet us saying "oooh, Danielle has the can!"  From there we watched the sun set and headed to dinner where they brought her dessert with a candle and singing, much to her dismay.

Shortly after dinner there was a midnight buffet of which I did not partake, but we went up briefly to dance and enjoy things.  Another fond memory of the cruise staff, Carlos, is his 'dance' that he used for every type of music.

No comments: