Thursday, February 03, 2011

It is exasperating not to know what you want and what would make you happy, especially when you feel eager to take some type of action. I had a moment of reminder that I am overqualified for some things yesterday and this morning briskly swept off of other things for not having the experience. At least some other opportunities are trickling in that allow me to meet some additional people in other groups, getting my name out there may be the critical factor. In the mean time, I have been pretty good at distracting myself from my own thoughts...

Last night I headed out for a showing of the Rite. I really enjoyed it! Some random notes, Anthony Hopkins is just one of those great actors, love seeing him in a part, especially if it has some crazy built in. Colin O'Donoghue (had to look up who it was) is about 95% cutie and 5% freakish looking ears. I am a sucker for boys w/ darker hair and blue eyes. Anyhow, loved some of the little touches like the nails and the bracelet. While I most definitely believe in good and evil, God and the Devil, and all that (especially after I reflect on that time w/ the door flying open in NC) I still find myself going "based on a true story?" really? and asking if they really have priests "trained" to do exorcisms.

On the other hand, I have also been digging through Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars and loving all four of the stories, they all allowed you to play through how your mind would react to being the lead character and immersed in the situation. As for 1922, I can so see that being how things would play out. I think the act alone would drive you to such insanity, or at least it would for me. I have also always loved SK's depiction of rats. When he writes of them, which he has done in several stories, I can see them so clearly in my mind. Big Driver is another one that most women can put themselves into the situation for and wonder how they would respond. I think it was less-so that she was a mystery writer and more-so that she was female that fueled her paranoid (but true) deductions. There was also A Good Marriage, it is funny how deluded we can allow ourselves to be and committed to what we believed someone to be. But - the third story, Fair Extension, I adored the most. Would I make that exchange with someone on my list? You BET I would.

Lots of people knocked this book saying it left no surprises for the reader. That's what is makes it so believable, it's like watching a friend making all the wrong decisions and you cannot convince them they're being stupid, it's realistic!

No comments: