Monday, May 03, 2010

It's been a busy weekend... I got up early (for me anyhow) and got some cleaning and party prep done on Saturday morning and early afternoon before heading to the gym for my initial (read - free) consultation with a trainer. I kept my first workout light but can feel it in my legs. Saturday night was a run to the mall as I quickly discovered just how old my sneakers were in that they were falling apart at the gym. I also snagged a cute bookshelf for in the dining room since the living room shelves are overflowing. Finally I bought a concrete bird bath since I've been attracting a decent variety of birds to the back yard. Speaking of which, anyone know what type of bird would come to a suet feeder that has a long bright yellow beak with a mostly dark brown/black body? I tried looking on whatbird.com with no success.

Sunday brought another reasonably early morning so I could head to Gallitzin for a Miche/lia party. Instead of heading home and hitting the gym again I went the rest of the way to toona to visit with mum for a few. While the weather was phenomenally nice on Saturday it was rainy and muggy today - but even that didn't slow me down... on the way back up the mountain I got a bug in my bum to hit the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

First, I tried to like the "new guy" (Jackie Earle Haley) as Freddy, but he just wasn't Robert Englund. I could get past that as you have to expect things to be a little different in a remake, but the make up was kind of bad. Sure, the old Freddy's make up was bad, but it was 80's bad not just freaky bad. And the main teenage boy role - did he really need to look like Robert Pattinson and the Hobbit had a love child? SPOILER ALERT... and why change part of the story line so fundamentally? He wasn't molesting their children he was killing them! Thus his daughter was taken and he came back to take their children. This change ruins their shots of following the same path in any way shape or form for sequels.

Speaking of Robert Pattinson, I finished Eclipse while on vaca, so I'm ready for that flick to come out. I've quickly realized that Bella is as much of a melodramatic cheating whore as Anita Blake. Ok, I realized the melodramatic part a long time ago - she's just whiney and needs smacked. Oh two men adore me whatever shall I do!! Wah.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Could it have been a European Starling? http://www.tamstuart.com/Slide%20Show%202003/images/European%20Starling%205903.jpg

JM said...

That's him!

JM said...

If you look at the pic on whatbird's site - you'll see why I didn't immediately recognize him.
http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/160/overview/European_Starling.aspx

Angela said...

I've been trying to keep track of the birds that come to our feeder. So I looked through our list and found the only dark one with a light beak--I figured you probably saw the same bird.