Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Opinionated, me? Naw. Today we had a big discussion on the issues w/ people that have kids and their "needs". My thought process is this: if you're working, that's a commitment. Yes, I understand your kids are important... yadda yadda, but if you want to feed and clothe them you need to work, no? If I get flack for needing to tend to my dogs during work hours then you too should get flack for child-related distractions from your workday.

My opinions on all of this have been exacerbated by the people that "work from home" with small children and expect me to believe they're actually getting a full day in. If you are, then I guarantee you're neglecting your children in a way that borders on abuse. Who are we kidding? You're not, but you're still getting paid for a full day's work. Or, leaving to meet other schedule obligations associated with children. It may be 5, but there are days I don't get to leave just because of the time - when work still needs finished.

I try not to "hate" because of kids or car pools or other things of this nature but they build issues because certain circumstances are allowed for when others are not. Maybe I _am_ just bitter. But I get frustrated when I hear the argument for equality for women when we then turn around and ask for special treatment for special circumstances. Make up your mind.

No comments: