Sunday, February 04, 2007

Oh not cool. The latest version of Turbo Tax bawked at my poor old computer that was reserved strictly for the purposes of taxes ... and because I'm too lazy to clean my goodies off of it and sell it off. I guess it's time is drawing to a close. Windows 98. God, I'm old.

So, I've installed TurboTax on the laptop, let's see how easily it grabs the info from the old filings if I just bring over the .tax files, hopefully it will let me point it to them instead of needing to install TT2005 to pull in a history. Of course this means I am sure I'll have a hard time finding a cable to connect the laptop to the printer for the PA taxes.

While I hate tax time due to the amount of time it takes to deal with the nuances of homeownership and rental taxes it's worth it, I usually get a decent check back. Keep your fingers crossed all - mama needs a remodeled living room.

2 comments:

Bob said...

You do not need to install TurboTax 2005 to transfer information to this year. As you mentioned, just make sure you copy to your laptop the file(s) with the extension TAX. Then, when TurboTax asks if you want to transfer information from last year, answer Yes and Browse to point to the file. That should do it.

Bob Meighan
VP, TurboTax

JM said...

Wow, the VP of TurboTax? How do I rate. Thanks for taking the time to jot me a note Bob. I did in fact get things cooking last evening quite smoothly!