Monday, July 04, 2005

The qualifying offers (aka protected lists) came out Friday after I headed down the mountain. I went 7 for 8 on my guesses, I guess I should have listened to Beff's advice on the one. The Chiefs finally announced signing Manzano. I don't know what the delay was with making the announcement. I also keep forgetting about the two other guys we should be getting the rights to from Columbia for Van Hoof.

Friday evening after having dinner we headed to see Land of the Dead. I thought it was decent, but one cannot go into this movie expecting something overly impressive. On the way home, for the first time ever, I saw and partook in a sobriety checkpoint. I'm always so nervous around police even if I know I've done nothing wrong. I guess that's from years of hearing my ex called "boy" and talked down to just for the way he looked/dressed. Pretty sad that shaving and putting on a polo shirt could probably have avoided a ton of fines. But I digress.

I had a sudden realization Saturday when leaving the grocery story related to this movie. The really old people sliding their feet as they shuffle to the grocery store? They could have easily been extras in Land of the Dead. I doubt however that most Americans are as intelligent as the "thinking" zombies were. I also had another thought of this movie pop to mind while walking through the neighborhood on Sunday evening and seeing some folks shuffling around on the street while playing with their pathetic little fireworks.

Saturday was taken up baking some cookies and heading to Davis' soiree. Instead of playing in the flip cup tournament I sat and watched some stars, satellites, and falling stars by the fire. It was so clear out that night, but a little chilly. It was an interesting night getting a bit of strange advice and learning more about the bizzare interworkings of the male mind from a male co-worker.

On a related note, I also learned that someone had thought I was dating someone a while back. What's up with that? Ok, this seems innocuous, but this is someone that I was interested in and I even thought was semi-interested as he had asked a few questions and made a few statements which seemed to match this theory (see my 02 Apr 05 post). Then I found out he was seeing someone. He is still, in fact, seeing this girl. So why make anohter comment about who I may or may not have been dating unless you were in some way disappointed that you thought I was doing so. They would have been at about the three-month point by then. It happens often. The second I think someone is interested in return I come to find out they recently became taken.

Either way I got up Sunday and got to work. I quickly discovered my old ass could not move two and a half tons of gravel on my own. So I called Davey T. God I love this boy. If you don't have a friend that you know will drop all to come help save your ass you need one. I don't know how I rank to have so many however, as Davey isn't the only one... but the only one I dared to call to move tons of gravel. :) The driveway is now re-lined and looks much much better. I, on the other hand, probably just look humorous today as I'm a bit stiff. I bet tomorrow will be nothing but pain. But at least this task is done.

Now today to relax and actually enjoy the long weekend. Maybe I'll get my reading done for this week's class and get a jump start on any assignments. Probably a good idea.

"You had the best but you gave her up. -No Doubt"

No comments: