Sunday, August 19, 2012

It's been a pretty "successful" weekend, even though it's coming quickly to a close I can say that.  How do I count success for a weekend?  Well, it all comes down to how much I get accomplished.  There is always plenty more I could/should have done, but there is only so many hours in a day.  I got some rest, I did some walking (not as much as I'd like for the weekend - yet - the night is young, but it also just started to rain again), I visited with mom, I did some running, but most importantly I got some overdue cleaning done.

Yep, we could sit down and have a meal at my dining room table!  Not that I do.  Not sure why exactly I own a dining room table, but I digress.  The windows, windowsills, and wall under the dining room window are washed off too.  The wall you see because Vixen likes to lay there and it tends to get a little grimy over time.  The standard rest of the downstairs effort was put in too (vacuum, bathroom maintenance, and whatnot).

I did make a grocery run yesterday, finally, so I was able to make some yummy prepackaged (by Iggle) blue cheese burgers on the grill last night after polishing the farm eggplant (in garlic of course) and farm corn at lunch time, and making an apple slaw with the farm's cabbage to go with the burgers.  Today I took the meat to mom's and we had the standard way too large noon-time Sunday dinner.  Tonight I'm making stuffed peppers (again), this time cooking them a little longer before stuffing.  It's a decent recipe and with some tweaking I can see it becoming something new in my repertoire.  One of the peppers is the one and only pepper I've pulled from my garden, so I am eager to give it a try.  They were good leftover for lunch the next day last time too, so bonus.

While mom took her post-meal nap I headed out for part of my walk, which is really good - like I said, it's raining, and I suspect I wouldn't have gotten an hour and a half tonight as a result.  I really want to cry for Altoona.  It's a mess.  Everything is falling apart from the houses to the sidewalks, and it just isn't the home of my memories.  I walked up the alley towards Teej's old house as I did so many countless times in jr high and early high school, before those years on my path to the pool.  Headed down towards AAHS, stopping off at the mountain lion I use to climb and walking along 6th avenue around building B, under the bridge, and up past St. Mary's.  Up the hill to 2nd avenue and towards the pool where I made a loop - no one swimming today (could be the fact it was barely to 70 mid-day).  Back down first avenue, cutting across and down the alley towards the park I spent so many hours playing/swinging/sledding as a child the back around to 1st avenue to walk past my grandparents' old place and back home.

I also crossed some little tasks off today that don't really take a lot of time or effort, but give a good impact to the mental list and make it feel a bit lighter.  Now, if the rain would just stop!  I caught 10 minutes with Danika while the peppers cooked... easily another 45 is necessary today.  Hopefully things will clear by the time I finish eating.

No comments: