Thursday, August 23, 2012

I just realized that job hunting is as bad as dating.  You spot something that looks good and you have some draw towards, so you send your resume (wal up and say hello), taking time to even write a nice cover letter (you put on a little extra makeup), and then you sit, waiting, and wonder how your skills (overall look) will appeal and align with what they're looking for.  In the mean time, the job you wouldn't have noticed in a town not on your list of places you're willing to relocate to starts emailing you and asking you to email your latest resume and give them a call to discuss an opportunity.
 
After you wait for a little while and realize you won't hear from the appealing job another place contacts you, this one is at least in the right area, not so much what you'd be into, but I guess the skills align... so you're willing to do a phone screen.  As the time leads up to the phone screen it feels like a burden that just bums you out.  You think "Ugh, I should have just told them it didn't sound like a fit!"  The call comes and goes, they make it sound like you'll be hearing back from them to go to the next step... and then they never call.   Now you're a bit peeved, thinking "hey, you don't get to diss me... I'm the one who didn't want to work for you!"  That bums you out, and then you think about all of the really good looking jobs that never bothered to call and you go back and forth between "their loss that they don't recognize what I could do for them" and "what's wrong with me and my resume? should I re-write? what do I need to learn?"
 
God forbid you get through the interview and are both enamoured with one another... it all seems great for a little while after you start, but then the long term relationship woes settle in.  Things get boring, you have your days when you wonder what you were thinking, but ultimately you stick around because it's just easier where you are.  Right now, I think I'm where I was in my marriage 10 years ago... sitting around waiting for the company to decide if they want me or not.  Unfortunately for me, as with my dating life, I am one of the few who still firmly believes you need to end one thing before you start another, but I'm terrified to pull the plug.

No comments: