Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Came back and learned more to chap me, but that's that. So be it. I'm ready for it. Be your foolish self sir and it shall be. To quote Peter, "I don't want you back, I want you fucking dead". That said, let's talk about good stuff.

Came back you ask? Why yes, I was in Iceland the past few days. I headed out on the 20th bright and shiny, taking the girls to camp, and then heading to catch up with Rex. At the MD border I had my first exposure to that which is the MEGAbus. We headed to the bus stop on the far side of Baltimore and boarded our MEGAbus.

Insert side review here: Packed, shazam. Not comfy. What made it a little less pleasing was the kid who yacked a couple of rows up. Thank goodness I didn't catch any scents as a result. It was booked to take 4 hours but took 5 thanks to traffic. I'd think if you're doing the same route at the same time every day you know more often than not there is traffic - so just fess up and set the arrival time appropriately.

From the MEGAbus stop we subwayed and LIRRed our way to JFK for our flight out. We went on IcelandAir as part of a package deal, sweet price for the flight and normally $400+ a night during peak hotel with breakfasts and a whale watching tour included.

Insert side review here: IcelandAir is THE way to head over to Europe. Stop in Iceland for a day or two to break up the trip as an added bonus, but their deal is for real. Hand us water on the way onboard, nice. Pillows and blankets, check, no need to ask, or pay. The best part? The little screen in the seat in front of you that is loaded with music, TV shows, movies, and info on Iceland you can select to watch or listen to.

To the hotel from the international airport it's a 40 minute ride, but they make it easy to set up bus transport etc. Our hotel was nice, simple and very European, but clean and comfy.

While future posts will cover the days in between I must also comment on the return MEGAbus trip, which I codenamed MEGAbusted. We snagged comfier seating at least. Unfortunately, the bathroom door didn't work, and the guy who noticed it REALLY needed to go, to the point he came back down every 15 minutes until the driver stopped at a rest stop. This happened a second time too at the need of a small kid. Needless to say this trip also took 5 hours instead of 4. I listened to the guy rant about reparations and resisted my urge to explode. Happy to be in Baltimore at 3ish we went back to my car and I headed home, arriving in town at 6:45 today, perfect timing to go get the girls. I then returned, showered, and headed to work. I can't believe I'm still going. Pardon any typing errors!

No comments: