Monday, February 08, 2010

First, I know many people had lots of negative things to say about John Murtha, but I liked him. Not just because he helped bring and keep technical work in a small place like Johnstown (note the word WORK, we don't just sit on our thumbs wasting tax payer dollars) but because he was honest, even when it wasn't popular. Yes, we as a collective group are probably racist, gun clinging, and often idiots (something he didn't say but I'll add it) here in Western PA, but he fought to help better our area and for us.

I admit some anxiety when I heard of his passing, and I've feared the day for many years. I think we've come a long way in taking the opportunities he helped create for us and made a name for ourselves with hard work and dedication. Hopefully it will help get us through many years to come without someone so dilligently pulling for us. Rest in Peace Congressman Murtha.

Now, the reason I had originally started pondering a post on earlier today, I tend to forget to mention the books I finish - probably because it is so infrequent that I complete one! I finished up Wicked (the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West). I liked it, but I admit I didn't love it - and I wanted to. The story started out fantastically, I guess it's always going to be a bummer when you know the end of the story before it starts, but the end was just disappointing. There seemed to be so many little feasible things you learned about Elphie early in the story that endeared you to her and her sister, Nessa. Ok, maybe I endear to the witch's side too easily, but regardless... from the point where Dorothy made an appearance things tumbled down the all too familiar and uninteresting road. I don't know if I want to read Son of a Witch, I found Liir quite uninteresting.

So where do I go from there? I started reading "The Shack" since it was so frequently mentioned and praised. I think after that I'll be ready to trudge through some more Anita stories... maybe.

1 comment:

The KSK Team said...

You know, I get the feeling I bolted at exactly the right time. :)